Theatre Studies
Sub-Menu

The A-level Drama and Theatre Studies course is designed for students to explore plays from the point of view of a director, designer, performer and critic. The course demands practical, creative and written communication skills in almost equal measure. Students will extend their ability to create drama and theatre, either in a performing or production role. They will also be required to write about drama and to develop their powers of analysis to become an informed critic and to consider the possibilities for staging a play from the point of view of a director. The course will involve taking part in drama productions, as well as studying plays and playwrights.

AS

Unit 1 –Live Theatre Production Seen and Prescribed Play

60% of AS, 30% of A-level

1 hour 30 minutes written examination:
Students answer one question from each of two sections.
Section A – response to live theatre seen during the course
Section B – study of one set play from a choice of six

Unit 2 –Presentation of an Extract from a Play

40% of AS, 20% of A-level

Practical performance: Performance by a group of an extract from a published play. The assessment also includes candidates’ preparatory and development work and supporting notes.

A2

Unit 3 –Further Prescribed Plays including Pre-Twentieth Century

30% of A-level 

2 hour written paper: 
Study of two further set plays
Available in June only

Unit 4 –Presentation of Devised Drama

20% of A-level

Practical performance: Performance by a group of devised drama. The assessment also includes candidates’ preparatory and development work and supporting notes.

An A-level drama student needs to be curious about issues and ideas and have a creative instinct for communicating their views through drama. The student may be keen on acting, writing or on the visual and technical side of theatre and wish to develop their skills in some or all of these areas. Equally they will be interested in going to the theatre to see plays performed by different theatre companies. The course is modular and requires the study of two modules at both AS and A2 level.

Studying this subject will equip students with a set of rigorous analytical and communication skills that transfer to other areas of study. They will also have acquired time management and leadership skills as well as the ability to work under pressure. Past students have gone on to study a range of different subjects.

Tap here for SUB-MENU