OLA is a school with over 150 years of history, and our former pupils number in the thousands.
Past events: 150th Anniversary Celebrations 1860 - 2010
Our Lady’s Abingdon celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2010, and part of the celebrations included a reunion picnic for past pupils and staff on Saturday 19th June. Between 350 and 500 people attended the event – it became impossible to keep count – many travelling very long distances to get here, including the USA and New Zealand! We were very pleased to welcome pupils who had been here in the 1930’s right through to those who left in the 2000’s. Many were overwhelmed with happy memories and the comments heard throughout constantly referred to ‘being part of a family’. Peter Kearney, who was here until 1954 had fond memories of Sister Kevin, now Sister Ita, and referred to her as a strict but fair and caring teacher. Proudly clutching a photograph of his class, his only regrets were that he had lost touch with his best friend from school.
Glynne Butt, a previous Headmistress, then spoke a little about the history of the school and the foresight of Mother Clare Moore who began it here in Abingdon. Sister Monica Sheehy, also a previous Headmistress, spoke too, giving a moving account of the ‘family’ that is, and always has been, of Our Lady’s Convent, now known as Our Lady’s Abingdon. She also remembered pupils and staff who are no longer with us but would have cherished an opportunity to meet again. A well-attended thanksgiving service was held in the chapel in the afternoon and visitors parted with fond memories and numerous new addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.